Boosman Bunch

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Now It's My Turn

So, what with David getting his Porsche and Kelsey getting her del Sol and Cam getting his VW, I was feeling a little left out. (Duncan doesn't really care about cars and Chris doesn't drive yet). Forget the part that I bought a Honda Element two years ago...I felt the need for a "fun" car. So, I had been looking on eBay for a VW beetle in order to relive my youth (since my first car was a 1971 SuperBeetle). Well, after actually sitting in a Beetle I decided that they felt a lot smaller than they did when I was 22 (!) and perhaps I should look at something else. David is a big fan of the air-cooled engine and I knew that he could help me out with repairs so we started looking at other aircooled cars...and there's not that many! But, the American car manufacturers did make a rear-engine, air-cooled car in the 60s...the Corvair. I found an 1964 4-door Monza sedan that had been in storage for 26 years. The person that had gotten it out of storage had replaced just about everything that needed to be replaced and it was in really nice condition...and it was green!

So here is my "toy"

I'm not sure what its name is yet. I think it needs a name besides "Karin's Korvair" (mispelling intentional). I joined the national Corvair club (http://www.corvair.org/) and will probably join the local chapter (http://www.capitalcitycorvairs.org/index.html) once I check out their meetings. The car is a 3 speed so I had to master that (though I still have a tendency to put it into Reverse [where 1st gear would be in a 4 speed] rather than 1st). Honestly, I didn't really need another distraction in my life...but it is fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home